Lyman Cochrane Home

216 Winder in Brush Park just northwest of downtown Detroit


The Italianate style of architecture refers to eclectic Neo-Renaissance and Neo-Romanesque approach that developed in Germany and England in the early 1800s. It refers to a style of building that emphasizes symmetric in design and prominent bracketed windows. The Lyman Cochrane Home is among the best examples of the Italianate style of residential architecture now found in the city of Detroit. There is a cubic massing in this structure, but also an attention to details, including those that decorate the structure. There is an entry portico surrounded by a bay window and a transom light. On the second story, you will see paired round arch windows. There is a hipped roof with a prominent chimney. Apparently, this home has been altered many times since it was constructed. At one time, the home consisted of four bays and, on the roof, you saw Iron cresting that has been removed.

This home was erected in 1870 for Dr. John Terry, a Detroit eye doctor who decided to build his home in Brush Park where the city's elite lived. He lived in this mansion only one year before Lyman Cochrane purchased it. In 1871, Lyman Cochrane not only occupied this beautiful home, but also was elected to represent Detroit in the Michigan State Senate. He served for two years, but was then appointed Judge of the Superior Court of Detroit in 1873. He served in that office until February of 1879 when he died. He apparently took pride in his scholarship and, at the time of his death, was presumed to have one of the most extensive and valuable private libraries in the city of Detroit. This home served as a private residence for some years and then was converted into a rooming house.

Date of Construction: 1870
Architect or Builder: Unknown to me
Style: Italianate
Use in 2003: Undergoing refurbishment along with numerous other formerly elegant homes in Brush Park
Michigan Register of Historic Sites: P25053 Listed January 16, 1990
Photo: Ren Farley, July 2003

Return to Historic Residences

Return to Home Page